Planning Permission Tips UK - Loft Conversions in UK Propert
Article by: Martin Meaks
We get a great many requests to view the potential of Loft conversions. This type of extension has remained fairly popular since I first started designing property , Are you in search of the latest opinion regarding lighting. & is perhaps even more in demand now than ever before - especially in dense urban areas where the alternative choices for that fourth bedroom are somewhat limited.
Now, the popular press would have you believe that they do not add value or have limited appeal. However, that blanket broad brush, slightly disrespectful opinion does not ring true for most of our clients. So what is going on? As always, the devil is in the detail - the detail in this respect is mainly focussed on two primary areas:
1. DESIGN and 2. DESIGN.
It's just like the location, , Understanding the role of insects in gardening location , CHOOSING A VINYL REPLACEMENT WINDOW CONTRACTOR location slogan for house , It's Time To Select Your Snow Blower values & desirability. Fortunately, the planners have got to grips with a lot of loft conversions these days & they now have a great more control of schemes that a few years ago could have been built under Permitted Development. This means that they have encompassed 'good design , Insecticides & Fungicides/Spreader-stickers, Wetting Agents: guides' in an attempt to stamp out the ugly full width box dormer that turned a beautiful , Geraniums Galore - A Container Garden Delight victorian semi into a something that looks like a car sized packing crate trying to escape from a neighbours roof. , Gardening the organic way
Conversely, many people have argued that the 'chocolate box' cottage type pointy roofed dormers (as suggested by the planners) are quite simply impractical & do not provide enough space for a fully functional room , Which KitchenAid products are right for your Kitchen? which in many cases is a very valid & true point. HOWEVER, life is all about compromises & choices have to be made. Fortunately, most members of the public are now becoming far more 'design aware' than they ever used to be & slowly by slowly they are beginning to accept that the formation of more space must not be at the expense of a poor external visual impact that simply jars with the whole look of the locality. This type of poor dormer design , Decorating Color Schemes can not only decrease the value of your own home , Finding the Perfect but that of the neighbours as well.
But yet again there are exceptions. Some suburbs of London for example have a plethora of these types of loft extensions & the ones that have not yet been converted look out of place. , Is it the Flu or is it Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? These types of areas pay more attention to the internal design , Ornamental Plants That Improve Bird Habitats of the living space than the grotty externals - goes with the environment , Gardening is Good Therapy I suppose. Also, some areas are 70's & 80's built estates where the whole so called 'architect design' was for this style of flat , How to Build a Simple Potting Bench roofed box dormer which is a commonly accepted fact for the area & enjoyed by many.
So, back to my original question - Does a loft conversion or extension add value? In my opinion YES in practically all cases baring a few exceptions. Should it be my first choice of residential development if my site has surrounding ground that allows alternative solutions? Well no in my opinion unless your property , Insecticides & Fungicides/Spreader-stickers, Wetting Agents: is a bungalow. A loft conversion for the standard 2 storey dwelling house , Bathroom Remodel - The Plan (detached, semi or terrace) should perhaps be on the 'last option' list rather than your first choice - more to do with peoples perceptions rather than anything scientific I could quote.
When we assess a loft conversions viability we run through a sort of assessment check list before we advise our clients & we always steer them towards nice looking, well balanced, recessed type of pitched roof , Poison Oak Pleasures dormers at the sacrifice of some space rather than the 'ugly duckling' alternative. However, like all services, many clients do not value the external look as much & they insist on the largest dormer possible especially if it can be constructed under the sites Permitted Development allowances (no planning permission necessary) - Do we still take the job? - yes of course we do its our living but our sign board never goes up during the construction works.
Some people subscribing to our news letter may value our 'design lead' approach so we schedule below some of our assessment criteria relating to loft conversions that you may find useful:-
1. Does it need Planning Permission - If so utilising the councils design , Gardening the organic way guides is a must. Some front or side facing dormers may still be resisted even if they are small. Velux windows , Growing Japanese Bonsai Trees for Bonsai Gardens often overcome these objections. In most cases, big bulky box dormers will not be allowed.
2. What area of new space does the client require - Many clients have overambitious floor , Home Remodeling: Getting Started space targets & visualise 3 bedrooms for example (all with ensuite of course). They fail to appreciate the loss of floor , It's Time To Select Your Snow Blower space caused by the extensive sloping soffits, & the new stairs.
3. Where can the new stair set go - Many clients fail to realise that their preferred location , Are you in search of the latest opinion regarding lighting. for the stairs does not achieve the required head room , Tarragon: A Favourite of French Chefs within the new floor , Landscaping with Roses for example. In most cases some existing floor , Growing Japanese Bonsai Trees for Bonsai Gardens space of the bedrooms for example will need to be sacrificed.
4. It is better to achieve one or two good sized functional rooms , A Perfect ‘Pet’ Project for Every Home to compensate for the lack of head room , Making Space for Sacred Space in some areas of the new rooms , Gardening tips, techniques and plant information rather than trying to cram in the bedroom numbers for the sake of it where the new rooms , Which KitchenAid products are right for your Kitchen? can become nothing more than single bed , Enjoy the Outdoors with a Patio Heater sleeping podules with very little inbuilt amenity value.
5. If flat , Are you in search of the latest opinion regarding lighting. roofed dormers can only be achieved due to the low ridge height then split the dormers into 2 or three smaller ones with no more than 1200mm (4') wide windows , Home Remodeling: Getting Started to break up its bulk. Always, always always recess the dormer into the roof , Home Remodeling: Getting Started slope to reduce the dormers bulk - DO NOT BUILD THE EXTERNAL FACE OF THE DORMER WALL OFF THE EXISTING EXTERNAL WALL OF THE HOUSE.
6. If a client wants a conversion with only Velux type roof lights , Growing Japanese Bonsai Trees for Bonsai Gardens then all well & good (much cheaper as well). However an exercise should be completed to explore the possibilities of a strategically located dormer or two that often frees up an extra 30% floor , Growing Japanese Bonsai Trees for Bonsai Gardens area that the client may not have realised for very little extra money.
7. Dormers are not the only design , Chain Saws - Choosing And Using Your First Saw solution to more light , Is it the Flu or is it Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? & space - consideration could also be given to a hip to gable conversion of the side roof , Enjoy the Outdoors with a Patio Heater for example that wont look out of keeping (unless your a semi of course).
8. As a rule of thumb to the practicality of your new room , So You've Decided to Finish Your Basement! in the roof , Making Space for Sacred Space - if you can already touch the ridge board when standing in the loft (about 2.3M or less), then its normally too small to form useful functioning bedrooms unless a bulky box dormer is constructed (which is what we are trying to avoid) If it is an area just for a play room , Enjoy the Outdoors with a Patio Heater or a study then all well & good but beware, many people have embarked on tight loft conversions only to realise too late that that they have no where to place , Dimmers Set a Lighter Mood the bed , ODE TO THE ROSEBUSH or locate a wardrobe.
There are a great many other issues to consider as well when completing loft conversions such as overheating, fire , The Green Giant Arborvitae Story regs, weather , Pool Table Lights Guide: How To Light Up Your Game protection during the works etc. & these are major discussion topics in themselves that I will leave for another day. However, the points listed above are the main ones relative to the external design , How to Build a Simple Potting Bench & appearance of loft conversions.
Our 'Maximum Build Planning Guide' explains further the tactics involved when developing a site with a loft conversion or extension & how to , Tips for choosing a landscaping firm give yourself , Finding the Perfect Home the best chance of being granted a planning permission or planning approval.
About the Author
Martin meaks is a very experienced Planning Consultant who has formed a UK planning permission information web , Is it the Flu or is it Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? site.
|Garden Ponds - they are not to difficult to install - If you’ve got a big garden, , Purple Martin Houses - More Than A Desirable Residence then it can be difficult to decide what to put in it. A shed? A swing? A hammock? A little vegetable , If You Have Any Antique Clocks...Keep Them. They May Be Valu patch, maybe? What you might not have considered, though, is that you could make part of your garden , Beauty of Nature - Talent of Man - Natural Stone Art into a pond. , Create Your Own Special Herb Garden
|Hot Tub Parties - Casual Hot , Fertilizing Your Flowers And The Importance Of Choosing The
Right Flower Food Tub PartiesPeople are continually looking for fun, easy and relaxing ways of having a party or other gathering for their fri...
|The two pillars of a successful interior design project! - Dear Friends,
Whenever I think of any design, , Here is Why You Should Use Gypsum in Gardening be it interior design , Landscape Gardening: Tree Arrangement or
product , Garden Ponds - they are not to difficult to install design, , Landscape Gardening: Tree Arrangement a few things very naturally come up in my
mind. These are i...
|Healthy hands are the Gardener's Best Tools -
Here are the major reasons why one should consider getting a
pair of trusty gardening , The History of Vacuum Cleaner Bags gloves:
Gloves protect your hands from blisters, thorns and cuts while
doing rough work like digging or pruning , "Hardening Off" Seedlings and Transplants in the garden. , DESIGNING YOUR LOG HOME: Tips to keep you out of trouble
Investing in one or more pairs of q...
|Freestanding And Lean-to Greenhouses - Whether a greenhouse , Going to the Chapel and They’re Going to Buy a Mattress is freestanding or attached (lean-to greenhouse) it is one of the most popular types of garden , Fall Planning - Garden plans for next spring and ordering
by mail buildings in use today. It is a...
|Creating a Wildlife Garden -
Creating a wildlife garden , How to Decorate your Space with Wall Art allows you take part in your larger
surrounding environment. , A Guide To Japanese Gardens Often gardens , Decorating with Authentic Zebra Decor.... are completely shut out
from the natural , How do you get parts for a Rainbow vacuum cleaner? landscape around it and aren't welcoming to
bird , Tips For Making Your Silk Flower Arrangement Beautiful s and other wildlife. , Control Those Weeds the Easy Way Adding a few well placed and well
|Prefabricated Homes Primer - This is by no means an exhaustive list of what's available in the area of prefabricated homes , Miniature Roses Have Many Uses and buildings. , Creating Your Own Garden in Small Places This article is to introduce you to the w...
|Maximize your waterfall flow with the Master DW Waterfall pump -
A common mistake that beginner water , Catching the Difficult Horse! gardeners often make is
that they fail to take the height and width of their waterfall
, Gardening with bulbs into consideration, when they purchase a waterfall , Create a New Bathroom for Under $50 pump. Because
of this, it is quite common for water , How To Buy A Vacation Property In Minnesota gardeners to underest...
|Enhance your garden with fall bulbs -
The coming of autumn , A Well Chosen Bathroom Vanity Will Make Your Bathroom Look G does not have to mean hanging up your
garden , How to choose roses for your landscape shears and garden , Saving Energy By planting Nursery Stock and windbreaks gloves for the year. The fall , Decorating With Room Dividers of the
year is actually the time when many of the most popular bulbs
, The Latest Flower Trends in Interior Decorating for your Home &
Office bloom, and planting fall , Installing Drywall: Mudding And Taping bulbs can provide your garden , A Fast Growing Trees suitable for Plumstead Township with much
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |