10 Tips for Working With a Contractor
Article by: Debbie Rodgers
This is the year you're going all out. You're going to build a deck, , Like Fall Flowers - A Tip To Care For Your Winter Garden Pond add a porch, , Poor Man's Concrete erect a gazebo or lay a patio. , When replacing a fountain pump or choosing a new one, first
there are some key terms to keep in mind You've done the research. It's well within your capability and you're looking forward to the satisfaction of creating a structure of beauty.
Or not. Yes -- you'd like to proceed with an outdoor , Saving money on European travel with rail passes structure but for you, it isn't a do-it-yourself project. How can you find the right person to do it for you? Here are 10 tips , It's Party Time - Let's Decorate! for hiring and working with a contractor. , Planting And Care Of Shrubs
1. Plan your project carefully. Clip pictures, make sketches, write a description. This will help you accurately convey to the contractor , How to Replace Worn-out Cushions what you want the finished product , The importance of proper soil chemistry to a healthy garden to be.
2. Make a list of contractors. , Orchid Care: How Orchids Grow Ask your neighbors or friends for the names of reputable tradesmen. Contact material suppliers -- lumberyards, for example -- and ask for recommendations.
3. Get at least three written bids for the project, but don't give in to the temptation to automatically accept the lowest bid. A higher bid may be worth the price in better materials, workmanship and reliability. If you get a very low bid, the contractor , Black Haw Viburnums will grow in New Hope Pa. may have made a mistake or forgotten to bid on everything you wanted. If they have deliberately low-bid, they may use cheaper materials or take shortcuts to make a profit.
4. Many states and provinces require registration and/or licensing. For the USA, www.nationalcontractors.com provides a starting point for your state and type of construction. Click on Verify Contractors , Saving money on European travel with rail passes License. If licences are required in your jurisdiction, be certain to ask to see your contractor's licences and be sure that it's not expired.
5. Ask for references and then check them out. Look at the projects and ask the previous clients if they are satisfied with the quality of work done, if it was started and completed on schedule and if it is complete.
6. Get a signed, written contract and be sure you understand it. The Construction Contractors , Tips For Acid Loving Plants Board of Oregon claims that the single biggest cause of homeowner-contractor disputes is the written contract: not having one, having a poor one, or having one everyone ignores. A good contract should include:
- The company name, address (not a post office box) & phone , A Look at International Flower Delivery number, the name of the builder, contractor , Shower Walls - Problems and Solutions and licence number, if applicable
- A detailed project description
- A materials list
- A statement that all necessary permits and inspections are the responsibility of the contractor , Choosing The Best Plants For Your Garden
- Starting and completion dates
- Warranties of workmanship, the length of the warranty, and specifically what's covered and what's not
- Contractor's guarantee that he carries liability insurance and worker's compensation coverage
- A statement that clean-up will be done by the contractor , Double Glazing
- The total price and payment schedule
- Be wary of hourly, time and materials or cost-plus pricing where the final price is not determined until completion of the project. Although it may seem higher, a fixed price may give you the best protection and price.
- Be cautious about upfront payments for more than 15% of the contract price.
- The schedule and criteria for each instalment should be clearly defined in the contract.
- Any instalments should be not be required on a certain date, but correlated to work completion.
- Do not pay cash. A reputable builder will ask for a check.
7. Make any changes , Pruning the Backyard Grapevine to the project in writing with a "work order change" to avoid misunderstandings and surprises.
8. Keep pets and children away from the construction site. This will ensure not only their safety, , Six Good Reasons For Going Organic but also that of the workers. In addition, it helps keep the project on schedule.
9. Inspect the work regularly.
10. Pay directly and promptly according to the contract.
Above all, you should feel comfortable communicating with your contractor. , Lighter Fluid: The Best Label and Scuff Mark Remover If you sense he is being evasive when you are getting a quote, it won't get any better during the construction period. Find someone you understand and who understands you, and who is open and forthright.
Working with a contractor , Wall Oven - A Necessity For The Disabled takes a little preparation, but following these steps is well worth it. Are you looking forward to your new outdoor , About Window Ledge Gardening space?
Debbie Rodgers owns and operates Paradise Porch, , Solar Lights for Walkways - Cut Costs and is dedicated to helping people create outdoor , Like Fall Flowers - A Tip To Care For Your Winter Garden Pond living spaces that nurture and enrich them. Visit her on the web , Saving money on European travel with rail passes at www.paradiseporch.com and get a free report on "Eight easy ways to create privacy in your outdoor , Interior Design Simply Means Personalizing Your Interior Env space". Mail to email@example.com
|The Hosta - A Shade Loving Perennial -
My first introductions to Hostas were four small green , Forehead Jewelry is Not Anti American and white
, Forehead Jewelry is Not Anti American clumps edging a small section of my mother- in- laws driveway.
I was not terribly impressed, they looked more like scraggly
lettuce plants , Earthworm Friends in the Garden with a few sticks growing , It’s Gardening Season! out of the middle...
|Types Of Roses To Use For Landscaping Your Home -
If you enjoy roses, , Things You Should Know About Gardening you can use them functionally as well as
decor , Arbor Swings - Which arbor is right for you? atively around your grounds — as creepers, shrubs, , Affordable Paintings: Art Prints Buying Guide vines,
climbers, hedges , Garden Groundcovers or just as beds , The Advantages of Stone Fireplace Mantels of pure color. , Pergo Flooring Is Perfect For The Home or Office Rose , Determining Your Home's Value originators
are enthusiastic and tireless, and every year new favorites...
|The Cranberry Viburnum Will Thrive In Horsham Pa -
American Cranberry Viburnums have been cultivated by man for
thousands of years and this particular variety is my favorite
for fast growing , Japanese Gardens vs. Western Gardens and easy to cultivate plants. , "s To Grow Old With" or "The Constant Battle" If you have had
trouble growing , Some Tips On Pruning Rose Bushes other plants , Baby Quilts – Traditional or With A Twist in Horsham Pa., this is a plant
, Marjoram: The Herb of Happiness t...
|History of the flower language -
Attributing flowers , Fix Minor Cracks Before They Require Costly Repairs with hidden meanings and using them to
express feelings and sending messages is an ancient tradition
and even the old Greeks used flowers , The Benefits of Bagless Vacuum Cleaners in this manner. Cleopatra
used to shower , Caring for Orchids her lover Marcus Antonius in rose , Moisture and the Warm Attic petals to
|Want a garden but not enough room or soil? Then Hydroponics Gardening could be for you. - Hydroponics gardening , Home Inspection or Home Warranty? is a great idea for anyone who wants a garden , If you are chasing the most up-to-date assistance regarding but does?’t have enough land or soil. , Asthma Friendly Gardens Hydroponics gardening , Planning Permission Tips UK - Loft Conversions in UK Propert is, essentially, a way to cultivate plants , Plan for Winter ings using a nutrient solution instead of soil. , Organic Gardening In The Backyard – Fun, Healthy, and Easier With hydroponics gardening, , How to Decorate your Space with Wall Art i?’s e...
|Botanical Prints for scientific research and collecting -
Botanical prints have a wonderful dual purpose: they are lovely
aesthetic pieces, akin to fine art, but also have the meticulous
detail necessary for science.
Botanical prints often reflect the preoccupations of society
during the time in...
|The Home Garden -
The Home , Planting and Caring for Flower Bulbs Garden
The garden , Fall Bird Feedings should be near the house , Lawn Care Tips and away from trees. , Herb Gardening Indoors If it's
some distance away from the house, , Japanese Gardens: The Practical Use of Stones and Boulders it will not be as well looked
after, nor will most use be made of vegetables , Free Satellite TV - Myth? Real? or It's Just a Joke? grown. Vegetables
, Planning Your Herb Garden The Right Way near trees , Introduction to bonsai growing: an overview cannot get full sunshine;...
|How To Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades -
Is your lawn , Gardening: It may just be the best thing you can do for
yourself. mower tearing of the lawn grass , This is top news about shelving blades instead of
cutting it? Does your lawn , Choosing The Right Flowers For Mom look like it has been eaten by a
goat, in spite of being cut by the lawn , Bring Spring In!
mower? Wait; do not pull
your hair by the root. , Saving money on European travel with rail passes Help is at hand. We will teach you how...
|An Electrician's Tools - There are such a wide variety of electrician tools , Fall Garden Chores for Spring Flowering Bulbs available on the marketplace that there are entire books on the subject and even they can’t cover e...
mygarden.net.au | | | | | | | | | | |